An article by local author Mary Smith about Kirkandrews Kirk, the restoration project and a fund-raising event.
Galloway News article from 2005. Click on the image to enlarge or download high-resolution version.
Galloway News article from April 2000. Click on the image to enlarge or download high-resolution version.
Article from late 1990s with some information about the history of the kirk and the need for restoration. Click on the image to enlarge or download high-resolution version.
Inscriptions on the gravestones in the old churchyard and photographs from the kirkyards.co.uk project. (The old churchyard is owned by Dumfries and Galloway Council, not Kirkandrews Kirk Trust.) Particularly noteworthy are:
- (number 34) the grave of Robert McWhae, “barbarously shot to death” in the 17th century for his adherence to the Solemn League & Covenant;
- (number 110) the grave of 2Lt F.G. Elms, killed when RMS Leinster was torpedoed by a German U-boat just outside Dublin Bay in 1918 and washed ashore at Kirkandrews. This was the greatest-ever maritime disaster in the Irish Sea.